WHAT IS PUA?
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) is a new Federal program that is part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. PUA provides financial assistance for Americans who are unable to work due to the coronavirus pandemic but do not qualify for traditional unemployment insurance (UI)
HOW IS THE PROCESSED BEEN STREAMLINED?
NYS Department of Labor has launched an updated, streamlined online application that allows New Yorkers to apply for either traditional UI or PUA, depending on their eligibility. That means DOL's new #PUA unemployment application is easier to use, so New Yorkers can apply for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance without having to apply for traditional unemployment insurance first (& get denied). This means they will process claims more efficiently & get you benefits faster.
Now, you do not have to complete a separate application for PUA.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
You should apply if you are unable to work as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and any of the following apply to you:
- Self-employed New Yorkers
- Independent contractors
- New Yorkers who worked for an app-based company (i.e. “gig workers”)
- Those diagnosed with COVID-19 or who have COVD-19 symptoms and are seeking a diagnosis
- Those living with a household member who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
- Those providing care for a family or household member diagnosed with COVID-19
- A primary caregiver for a child unable to attend school or another facility due to COVID-19
- Those unable to reach their place of employment due to an imposed quarantine or because they have been advised by a medical provider to self-quarantine due to COVID-19
- Those scheduled to commence new employment that cannot reach their workplace as a direct result of COVID-19
- Those who became a major breadwinner because the head of their household died from COVID-19
- Those who quit their job as a direct result of COVID-19
- Those whose place of employment closed as a direct result of COVID-19
- Those with insufficient work history and affected by COVID-19
- New Yorkers otherwise not qualified for regular or extended UI benefits and affected by COVID-19
THE BEST WAY TO APPLY IS ONLINE
Here's how the updated application works:
- Visit https://unemployment.labor.ny.gov
- The application will determine which program—unemployment insurance or PUA—you should apply for.
- You're prompted to answer program-specific questions; If you already applied for traditional UI but may be eligible for PUA, we will contact you; or if you previously filed for UI and filled out a standalone PUA application, we are processing your application and will be in touch IF we need to speak with you for more information.
- If DOL needs more info, They will call you!
WHAT WILL I RECEIVE?
If you qualify for PUA, your benefit rate will be based on your recent earnings. You will also receive an additional $600 per week until 7/31/2020.
Need help with UI? Call 1-888-209-8124