Youth Media Instructor (Part-Time)
Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) seeks experienced youth media instructors to teach different aspects of media production at our East Harlem Youth Media Center. Course subjects range from TV (talent and production), Film (acting & production), Documentary, Music & Audio Production, Web and graphic design. Media Instructors report to MNN’s Manager of Media Education.
- Prepare class materials, follow detailed lesson plans and provide instruction to classes of six to twelve students ranging ages 14-21,
- Meet regularly with Manager of Media Education to review curriculum and submit feedback regarding class outcomes,
- Experience working with youth and young adults in a classroom setting; media-related preferred
- Expertise in field narrative and documentary production with digital video cameras (Sony & Canon preferred) and/or iPads for video production
- Experience teaching television studio production and post-production
- Experience working with a diverse public with varying levels of technical skill
- Experience developing, producing or editing podcasts or music videos
- Experience as an on-camera talent and/or actor for television and film
- Experience teaching web and game design; basic coding skills
- Understanding and some experience navigating Virtual, Augmented and/or Extended reality
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented
- Must have access to professional editing workstation, microphone and high-speed internet
- Flexible schedule (mornings, evenings, weekends)
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus
Compensation & Schedule
Hourly rates based upon experience. Part Time Media Instructors are paid hourly for class meetings and preparation time. Classes are offered in the morning, afternoons, evenings and weekends. The duration of a single class session is two-three hours with a multi-session course ranging between 6 and 24 total hours.
How To Apply
Rolling application process. Submit resume and brief cover letter and link to reel to email@example.com. In the subject line, please write “Youth Media Instructor.”
In your cover letter, please specify which of our courses you would like to be considered for.
We will only consider complete applications. Due to the volume of applications, MNN may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls please. MNN will contact candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Established in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network is a media learning, production, and distribution hub that promotes creative expression, independent voices and community engagement.
We operate two media production and education facilities in Manhattan and run community cablecast channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, Culture, MNN HD, NYXT, and MNN-FSTV), reaching some 500,000 cable subscribers in the borough.
MNN offers low-cost training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to independent media makers.
Our vision is to empower local voices and diverse views.