Manager of Media Education (Full-time)
Manhattan Neighborhood Network, New York City's largest community media organization, is seeking a dynamic and experienced media manager to lead, develop and coordinate MNN's core education services at our main 59th Street facility and at the MNN El Barrio Firehouse. MNN's media classes serve more than 1,200 students annually and aim to teach independent media makers and members of community-based organizations how to make, package and distribute media on multiple platforms.
The Manager of Media Education oversee youth, adult, and professional initiatives at Manhattan Neighborhood Network and reports to MNN's Director of Media Education. The is an on-site position and may include some evening and weekend work hours.
The Manager of Media Education manages all aspects of MNN’s youth and adult media education programs, including curriculum development, planning and scheduling, and staff and student supervision at MNN’s 59th Street Media Education Center and El Barrio Firehouse. This position reports to the Director of Media Education. The position may include some evening and weekend hours.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversee all MNN programs including youth, community and professional education services
- Development curriculum and initiatives for youth-based and professional adult media education programs
- Oversee enrollment, class rosters and scheduling of media education programs; regularly work with the Director of Media Education to develop and implement a calendar of programs, workshops and special events
- Supervise media education staff including full and part-time coordinators, instructors and interns.
- Work closely with education marketing coordinator to aid in increasing visibility for the media education programs and initiatives
- Facilitate informational sessions (in-person and online) for education programs
- Maintain accurate database records and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Registration, placement and tracking of community members into MNN media education classes.
- Answer and respond to phone and email inquiries regarding media education in a timely manner
- Review and edit blogs and social media posts for various media education initiatives
- Supervise the production of promotional videos and video tutorials related to our MNN’s education program for distribution on MNN’s digital platforms and social media outlets
- Teach various multimedia workshops online and on-site, as necessary
- Conduct staff development training
- Assist in building partnerships with local and national community organizations
- Other duties as assigned
Other Job Requirements:
- Strong interest in community media and education
- Exceptional organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work independently, collectively and collaboratively with minimal supervision
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills, capacity to troubleshoot, and make recommendations
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public
- Position may require evening and weekend work hours
Required Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in broadcast, television production, video, communications, journalism, media education or equivalent experience
- Minimum five years teaching film/video production and developing media curricula
- At least three years of experience supervising staff
- Demonstrated studio, location production and post-production knowledge and skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of media production and new media technology
- Knowledgeable in Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledgeable in business applications such as Slack, Mailchimp and SurveyMonkey
- Knowledgeable in MS Office Word, Excel and Outlook
- Knowledgeable in Google Apps (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, etc.)
- Bilingual - Spanish a plus
Benefits & Compensation:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Salary commensurate with experience
Send CV/resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, outline how you would transform the media education program in your first year. Samples of curriculum and/or production reels will be requested of selected finalists. In the subject line, please write “Manager of Media Education”.
We will review applications until the position is filled.Due to volume, we may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Established in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network is a media learning, production, and distribution hub that promotes creative expression, independent voices and community engagement.
We operate two media production and education facilities in Manhattan and run community cablecast channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, Culture, MNN HD, NYXT and MNN-FSTV), reaching some 500,000 cable subscribers in the borough.
MNN offers low-cost training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to independent media makers.
Our vision is to empower local voices and diverse views.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.