Documentary Storytelling Intensive
This 10-week documentary intensive gives Manhattan residents and New York-based independent producers the opportunity to learn how to produce a 3-7 minute documentary. Students will learn how to script, plan, shoot and edit a mini-documentary. Students will also learn advanced composition and image control techniques along with strategies for capturing the best sound in the field.
Students will be provided with MNN’s professional field camera Sony Z150 during the course. Out-of-class assignments, field shooting and editing hours will be required. Students must supply their own SD cards, headphones and Mac-formatted hard drive to store and edit their media.
This course will not teach students basic camera operation or basic video editing skills. Applicants will be required to submit links of their previous work when applying.
The course fee is $150 and is non-refundable and non-transferable. If accepted into the course, payment must be received to hold your seat.
This online course includes:
- Live guided instruction from a media professional
- *Exclusive access to Sony Z150 field camera
- Digital handouts and activity materials
- One-on-one out of class support from MNN staff
*Students will schedule contactless pickup at an MNN facility. Students will be financially responsible for checked out equipment.
We recommend you submit your application in a timely manner. Submissions by certified MNN producers will have priority. Late submissions may be accepted on a space-available basis. Accepted applicants will be notified by email at least two weeks before the start date. No phone calls please.
Applications are due Monday, August 24, 2020.
Course Fee: $150
Please read this PDF info sheet before applying for this course.
Eligibility Requirements for the Documentary Storytelling Intensive:
- MNN certification in Field Video w/ Sony Z150 Certification and Video Editing w/ Adobe Premiere CC Certification or
- Working knowledge of field camera operation and non-linear video editing
- Mac or PC with installed professional non-linear editing application such as Adobe Premiere CC or DaVinci Resolve
- Secondary monitoring device for instruction such as an iPad, tablet or 2nd computer/screen
- Internet Connection (minimum speed of 2Mbs)
Course Duration: 10-Weeks + required out-of-class hours
- This course meets virtually every Tuesday from 5pm-9pm September 8 - November 10