Director of Development & Marketing
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Development & Marketing provides strategic leadership, direction and planning for MNN’s fundraising, communications and marketing efforts for our local community and digital media operations and education services.
This is a critical time for independent and community media. MNN is moving to expand its mission, reach and resources with the acquisition and build-out of a new state-of-the-art midtown Manhattan media facility. Our aim is to create a new form of mission-based public and community media with a new, more robust digital production and distribution capacity and an expanded media education program. The Director of Development & Marketing will play a key leadership role in this effort.
The position will oversee a team responsible for MNN’s day-to-day communications, development and marketing efforts, including supervising digital and social media assets, as well as all fundraising and development activities including membership, partnerships, foundation development and public media underwriting.
The Director of Development and Marketing will roll out a comprehensive development and marketing plan including strategy, metrics, standards, and financial goals in partnership with the MNN executive leadership and Board. They will be responsible for enhancing the visibility of the organization and inspiring community members and organizations to partner with MNN to achieve our mission and goals.
They will work closely with the CEO to strategize on key branding, marketing and fundraising opportunities and strategies locally and nationally. They will be responsible for overall fundraising engagement across all levels of philanthropy. The Director of Development and Marketing will also work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role as well as engaging their network of prospects and donors.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive communications, digital marketing and fundraising plan including strategy, metrics, standards, and financial goals.
- Develop and manage a development team and program, including membership services, aimed at increasing organizational revenue.
- Identify new funding opportunities and work with Development and Marketing team to compile or develop materials to submit to granting or other funding organizations.
- Evaluate and create a philanthropic and partnership funding plan for community media education programs and outreach programs in NYC. Oversee grant fundraising, as needed, including research, proposals and reporting requirements.
- Create strategies to fund new programming and production launches.
- Identify and build relationships with potential major donors and funders.
- Develop fundraising plans and goals for special events tied to organizational milestones, including anniversary dates and new facility launches.
- Project Management of campaigns, events and projects.
- Build and manage outreach efforts to election officials, government agencies, community organizations or local leaders to increase awareness of organizational causes, activities, or needs.
- Ensure consistent messaging to partners and audience members.
- Lead ongoing marketing efforts (descriptions, website, social, PR, presentations, events and conferences, etc.)
- Collaborate with senior team to create, modify and implement company strategy and branding objectives.
- Experience in marketing, public relations and nonprofit management.
- Knowledge of fundraising processes around donor acquisition, retention and membership services, including membership/donor databases.
- Ability to manage a team to successfully achieve its goals as well as provide each team member with professional development guidance.
- Strong background in using fundraising database systems.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- Strong knowledge of best practices for maximizing performance in a membership/direct marketing campaign and the ability to translate research/metrics into strategy and tactics.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services, such as educational services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics and sales techniques.
- Experience in planning and launching fundraising events and other activities.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and to establish effective timelines for accomplishing long-range goals.
- Ability to work independently and to lead a team.
- Confident presentation ability, excellent written and oral communication skills.
- High level of personal responsibility strives to achieve the best results and assumes ownership and accountability for their own work and that of their direct reports.
- Proficiency with a variety of technology tools including Microsoft Office, database management; and computer-based analytical skills.
- Ability to serve as an ambassador, role model and a strategic leader for MNN
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in Development/Marketing field
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Major campaign, digital marketing and fundraising experience
Benefits & Compensation:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Salary commensurate with experience
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Send CV/resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In the subject line, please write Director of Development & Marketing.
We will review applications until the position is filled.
Due to volume, we may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls, please.
Established in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network is a media learning, production, and distribution hub that promotes creative expression, independent voices and community engagement.
We operate two media production and education facilities in Manhattan and run community cablecast channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, Culture, MNN HD, NYXT and MNN-FSTV), reaching some 500,000 cable subscribers in the borough.
MNN offers low-cost training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to independent media makers.
Our vision is to empower local voices and diverse views.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.