Director of Marketing & Communications
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is seeking a dynamic communications and marketing professional to develop and lead the promotion and branding initiatives of the nation’s largest community media center in a new era of digital media making and distribution. Cablecasting more than 10,000 hours of original, locally-produced content every year, operating two large centers, and actively serving more than 1,200 local producers annually, MNN supports and manages participatory media platforms and formats that aim to inform, enrich and inspire.
The Marketing & Communications Director will direct and implement a communications strategy to support and promote MNN’s mission, programs and services. The director reports to the Chief Executive Officer and works with all other directors to amplify and coordinate a consistent message and brand to MNN audiences, including MNN staff, users, community-based organizations and viewers.
Job responsibilities include
- Develop and implement organization-wide communications and marketing plan, including specific programmatic marketing plans and a cohesive on-line social media strategy to help attract audiences and advance users’ and the public’s understanding of MNN and its services
- Working with MNN directors, ensure a consistent, disciplined and strategic institutional marketing and messaging approach is carried out on multiple platforms, including cablecast TV, on-line video, email, web, social media, e-newsletters, direct mail and other
- Oversee creative design and production of MNN printed materials, including program inserts, education brochures, welcome kits, event promotion, advertisements and e-communications
- With programming staff, develop creative design for new television channels and programs, with strategies for marketing and launch
- Implement systems for measurement, tracking and assessment of audience awareness, engagement and usage of MNN’s media services; track and analyze reports and suggest new ways to bring MNN message to users
- Oversee cablecast marketing and promotion, including development of on-air graphics and branding
- Oversee online communications and marketing including content generation for website, education services, event marketing and e-blasts
- Oversee MNN branding strategies, and provide input on and approve all marketing materials in the form of print, advertising, e-media, video and other multi-media
- Oversee printing, mailing and distribution efforts for all marketing materials, and oversee proper maintenance of, and mailing lists
- Design and implement innovative strategies for marketing partnerships and community outreach
- Plan and implement community events and special events as necessary
- Supervise team of community media marketing staff members as necessary
- Manage accounts with outside media vendors
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism, marketing or related field
- Minimum 10 years of marketing and communications experience, particularly in the arts and media, including experience in developing comprehensive marketing and communications plans
- Supervisory experience
- Excellent communication skills, including outstanding writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of new media marketing techniques and best practices.
- Strong computer literacy is required, including a proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database management.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In cover letter, please address the following:
1) Why are you interested in the position?
2) What do you see as the key marketing and communication challenges facing traditional media and what are some solutions?
Nonresponsive applications will not be considered. Due to the volume of applications, MNN may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No Phone Calls, please. MNN will contact candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.
Founded in 1992, MNN administers four Public Access channels on the RCN, Time Warner Cable and Verizon FiOS cable systems reaching more than 600,000 Manhattan cable subscribers, streams programs on the Internet reaching global audiences, and offers training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to Manhattan residents who wish to become certified producers for MNN.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.